Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Last Resort: Death's Little Brother

I'm feeling especially optimistic this morning despite the subject matter of today's cartoon. I've never been accused of being an optimist but there's one thing I've come to realize in my 40 years on this planet: the world is not going to end in your lifetime and if it were to end, there's not a damn thing you can do to stop it. You can either live the rest of your days in fear or just live.

I use to live in fear but now just live. Don't get me wrong, I'm still obsessed with some pretty grim subject matter but I don't take it nearly as seriously as I once did. Every generation has an over developed sense of their own importance. As if no one in the history of man kind has ever experienced what you are experiencing or has the power to shape the world as you do. Get over yourself. People are the same now as they've always been. Access to cable, the internet and a 24 hour news cycle doesn't make you different it just makes you subject to a bombardment of negative information that a human being shouldn't be subjected too.

I've survived the threat of nuclear annihilation from the Russians, several planetary alignments, heaven's gate, swine flu, the avian flu, west nile disease, half a dozen raptures, the year 2000 and the financial collapse. People before me have survived world wars and plagues. As each new prophecy of doom passes another one will take it's place. Something will kill you. It's the inevitable price of being human. You can either worry about it or go on living.

Live.