Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Old School "The Cheez"

Well, I'm finally back to the drawing board. Literally and figuratively.  I know I'm long over due for a new post. Life got in the way once again and time has been a problem ... so I decided to remaster some old material in hopes of getting to post more frequently.

This comic is 20 years old (holy crap I'm getting old) and first appeared in The UMBC Retriever. I was a cartoonist in college but my work was considered too edgy and rarely made it to print. The editor hated me and I heard the staff hated her. Anything that made it to print was a small miracle and probably slipped in behind her back. Whether an attempt to get her fired or because other people liked it, I really don't know. It was a frustrating time for me and I resorted to making fun of the other cartoonists. I hoped they would poke fun back, but one quit the the rest ignored me. I plowed on for two years and managed to refine my craft and have some fun ... not how I'd envisioned it would be, but it all worked out pretty well. I was able to experiment, find my style and laid a good foundation for a lifetime of cartooning.

The best creative thing to come out of that time was the character Moon Cheese. This strip was his first appearance in 1992 under my strip's original title "The Essence of Putrescence." Didn't really roll off the tongue but it did some up the crap I was churning out.  Anyway, this was by far my most popular individual strip. When I saw it clipped out and posted on a professor's door, I knew I was on to something. It was the first time outside of my family and friends that I knew somebody else thought I was funny. This was the beginning of taking myself seriously as a cartoonist and the seed for my first attempt at a syndicated strip, called The Cheez.

I'll be digitally remastering The Cheez in the coming weeks. For those unaware, click on the image to get a larger view. Enjoy and thanks, as always, for reading!