Sunday, August 24, 2014

Illustration Friday: 8/22 Journey

If you've been reading this blog for a while you know that I've been exploring the realm of digital illustration this past year. I've been learning a bunch of new applications, dabbling in digital painting and generally trying to find my voice as an illustrator. It's amazing how much of my painting skill has been forgotten since college. It's been a struggle and I still don't know where I'm going with it but I do know that I need to illustrate a lot more, practice painting and sketch every chance I get.

In a serendipitous search of the internet, I came across the site illustrationfriday.com which presents a weekly challenge for illustrators and a forum to post their art. I thought it would be fun to give it a try and a weekly project I hope to keep up with from here on out. The topic for last week was "Journey"... a very fitting subject to start this ongoing series.  Unfortunately I missed the deadline by two days.

I chose to do a digital painting. This is the first one I've ever done from sketch to completion without basing it on a photograph. It's still pretty cartoony but I'm happy with it for a first attempt. It will be interesting to compare it to my work years from now. By then I'll probably regret posting it and view it as an embarrassment but every journey has to start somewhere. Mine starts here.