Friday, February 20, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics: Day 1

Good morning, fans of my comics.... and what I fine morning it is.  I'm back among the living!

Last weekend I planned a 5 day weekend to work on some comics projects, investigate a way to make some side money and finally learn Manga studio. What happened instead was I got deathly sick, spent 4 days in bed and the 5th, my daughter's preschool had no heat so I spent the day with her....oh...for...FIVE.

That gave me a lot of time to think and what I thunk is that I'm joining the fine comic book makers who came before me in taking The 100 Days of Making Comics challenge. You can check out all those who completed it here at their website.

What is The 100 Days of Making Comics challenge? Well, first you grab a bucket of ice water and dump it on your head and when you come back I'll tell you. All done? Good job...100 days isn't about curing ALS and I don't even think it's technically a challenge. It was a goal started by Kevin Cross, to put aside 30 minutes a day to work on a personal comic book project. Along the way it's become a movement of sorts. Pure and simple.

And that's what I'm doing. Starting today, I'm putting in 30+ minutes every day to work on making a comic book. I've been wanting to do a graphic novel as part of my life goal for a while now. I spent the better part of the last year or two trying to get better as an artist, studying illustration, learning how to make comics and basically just thinking about what a massive elephant this is I'm trying to eat.

Laying in bed sick this week, I realized the only way it's going to get eaten is grab a fork. Got it. So where to start?

I'm starting with what I know.



WTF is that you say? That my friends is an ass in a cape. Stupid, I know.  Draw what you know right?  So there ya go!  Chew on that and I'll fill you in on the back story behind this relic tomorrow!

Stay tuned!! And thanks for checking in.