Saturday, February 21, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics: Day 2...

Welcome back! Day 2 in the 100DMC as I'm now going to call it.



So, yesterday was the big announcement that I'm diving headfirst into the pool. I'm setting to work on The Caped Sphincter. I read through the old book and did some planning stuff. That's about it.

Since you're probably wondering to yourself, "Why would you make a comic about an ass in a cape?" I'll tell you. Because it's absurd. I like absurd comedy. If you want something deeper: this book is a not so subtle jab at establishment superhero books and I enjoy flipping the establishment the bird.

Don't get me wrong, I love superhero comics and still collect Spider-Man and Batman today. Old comics will always be more dear to me but I know that's only nostalgia speaking. If I were born today, this would be the stuff I like. Superhero comics haven't really changed much. Sure it's ridiculous and repetitive but that's why I love them. That and the art. The big named artists and characters are well deserving of the praise they get but I think putting them on a pedestal and worshiping them at conventions is pretty nuts. At the end of the day we're all just making funny books about guys in tights involved in Sisyphean struggles with other guys in tights. Let's not take it too seriously.

I'd like to think the deeper meaning was why I made The Caped Sphincter but it's not. One day around 1992 a couple of friends (Jason and Shawn Cusick) and I were reeeeally bored and having a slouch in their parent's living room. One of us called another one a name, that guy built off part of that name and called the other guy something and it went around the horn until somebody got stuck. Jason was odd man out when he got tagged with "sphincter". Best he could come back with was calling Shawn "a caped sphincter." His loss was so bad and we made so much fun of him for not coming up with something better, I went home and drew a comic of a giant ass in a cape, entitled The Caped Sphincter.  He made another appearance in some of my earlier comics but just sat in a drawer until 1996 when I made the book you saw the photo of yesterday.

I've always thought of myself as a comic strip artist and not a comic book artist. However, it was the mid 90's. Comic books were big and I figured, I'd have a go at a book. Who better to star in it than The Caped Sphincter?  Without much planning or study or even a script I just got some comic book artist boards and started drawing it.  It ended up being a 2 issue story arc of 22-24 pages each. I got the first one completely inked and printed it up at Staples, and somehow sold 25 of the 50 issues I'd made. Not bad! It was just a local shop and most people just took a copy out of charity I'm sure but it was fun.  I managed to finish penciling the 2nd issue but I got a real job as a graphic designer, the comic book industry was tanking and my local shop closed up.  That was all she wrote for The Caped Sphincter.

Here we are now, coming up on the 20 year anniversary. I see what fun all these indie comics guys are having with the 100DMC and I figure the time is right for The Caped Sphincter to make his return!

Tomorrow, I'll detail that plan for you.  Today, I'm putting pen to tablet.  LET'S DO THIS THING!!