Monday, February 23, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics: Day 4...Roughs

Day 4 of the 100DMC and I'm feeling pretty good about the story restructure. I got to spend about an hour yesterday on the thumbnails. I reorganized the story to have better page turns, reveals and flow. The dialog is going to need a major overhaul. Some of it is pretty bad.That's the toughest obstacle I foresee during the roughs now.

I'd show the thumbs but they are so bad, they'd be meaningless to anyone other than myself. I know what is supposed to transpire on each page and how the panels are going to lay out but that's about it. Sketching is minimal and there's little dialog if any. I'll write the dialog to fit the space as I draw the roughs.

I'm not sure I'd recommend this process to anyone, nor do I think I'll be this lose on any future comics but since I have the old work to go by I feel like I can cut some corners. I'm anxious to get beyond the roughs and start the pencils. Just have to be careful not to rush things now. I know the foundation is important and I don't want this whole project crashing down on my head by issue 3.

Today, the roughs!