Saturday, February 28, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics Day 9:...Pencils, Schmencils

Howdy folks!

I'm a little late on the post this morning because I slept in and had a nice waffle breakfast with the family on this fine Saturday morning. Yesterday I began the pencils to my comic.  In case I didn't mention this before, I'm teaching myself Manga Studio 5 as I go. While I did the thumbnails and roughs in this program I really hadn't gotten the flavor of the tools until I started penciling.  Can I just say...OH...MY...GOD!

Where has Manga Studio been all my life?  Some people don't like digital because it doesn't have the same feel and control of real media.  I totally get that.  Even if the tools today behave more like real media, using a table is like drawing on glass...yeah, you can get different nibs but it's still not the same. Since I was never great with regular media this didn't bother me. I figured I'd have a learning curve with real media or digital so why not just do digital so I can take advantage of the undo and other benefits.

I'd always used Photoshop since the first edition 25 years ago. It's great and does the job but it's never been like real media. It's gotten better but I think Sketchbook Pro and Painter are better.  Painter is ridiculously complicated and Sketchbook Pro is too simple for anything but sketching. Manga Studio 5 however hit the sweet spot!  5 minutes into drawing with Manga Studio and I could already tell it made me a better inker because I was using better tools. I like the pens so much that I plan to scrap the pencils entirely.  Since I can erase ink in digital, why even bother with the pencils? If you are really good in traditional media I'm not sure these tools will be for you, but if you're willing to accept the difference in feel and the learning curve it takes to use them, they will knock your socks off.  You can even ink in vectors, which allows you to move lines independently once you draw them! Unlike pixel ink where all lines are connected, vector looks the same but allows each line to be altered separately! That's pretty amazing stuff.

Anyway, enough gushing over Manga Studio.  I'll make reports throughout my journey. I think I'm going to spring for the EX version too....it has perspective rulers that are supposed to be phenomenal and I could really use those.

Only got about 30-45min in yesterday but plan to put a lot more time in this weekend.  Enjoy your Saturday everyone and thanks for checking in.