Sunday, March 1, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics: Day 10... Style

Hello again, it's day 10 in my journey of 100 days, in which I spend 30+ minutes a day on making comics. For those of you just looking for a progress report, I put in about 3 hours yesterday and have the very first panel of my comic inked. I still have to add a little shading but it's essentially done (minus the color). I wanted to post it to give you all a feel for what's in store (Click on the image for a larger view).



This panel doesn't give anything away but it's a good indicator of what you're going to get with this comic. It's no Eisner winner, nor is it a very serious book. If you like quirky, absurd comedy, lowbrow poop jokes and goofy looking art, then The Caped Sphincter is for you. If you want the next Batman you're better off looking elsewhere. If you're still reading this, I guess you're interested: In which case I'd like to ramble on about style.

Gaz Bot got me thinking about style yesterday with his video on Day 95 of his own making comics journey. In it he was talking about his vision and the frustrations artists experience trying to achieve their vision. Skill often falls short.  My vision has never met my skills and I don't think any artist who is any good will ever quite meet their vision. This isn't a bad thing. To do so would mean you have no room to grow and your art would become boring and stagnant. There's always room to improve. I look at vision as more of a guideline now than a goal.

Chasing style has always been just as elusive. I didn't set out to draw in my style. It just sort of happened as a result of my failure to draw in other ways. Drawing realistically always seemed like a chore to me and resulted in some pretty soulless work. I never wanted to put the time in to get better at it because it was frustrating. My vision never matched what I could draw. I found comic strips and suddenly a whole new way of thinking opened up for me. Comics gave me the freedom to draw out of proportion, distort reality and it didn't matter so much. I enjoy the process as much as the final result. Therein grew my style.  Sure I wish I could draw like Greg Capullo or somebody good but it's not in me. I draw the way I draw because it's what I do.  It makes me happy.

It took me a long time of struggling with the idea of what I thought I "should" be doing vs. what I "wanted" to be doing. I want to have fun when I'm drawing and comics are fun for me. It's a bar that I can reach and succeed at and still improve upon and I think that's the key to vision and style. Be true to what you are and let your own style evolve on it's own. Don't waste time trying to be something you're not.

Hopefully that made some sense. I promise not to ramble too much more in the future.  See you all tomorrow!