Saturday, March 7, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics: Days 12-15

Welcome back and thanks for checking out my progress on The 100 Days of Making Comics Challenge.  It's where I spend at least 30 minutes per day working on a personal comics project. In my case I'm working on a series of 4, 12-page comics about The Caped Sphincter (TC Sphincter for short). You read that right...a giant ass in a cape. It's pretty absurd but it's fun to draw and hopefully will be entertaining to somebody out there. I have had a few people actually request I bring the character back (originated in early 90's) so I'm happy to oblige. I rather like the character too! You can check out my previous posts if you'd like to get more of the back story or see the old cover featuring TC.

This week I switched to weekly updates. I know blogging is not as entertaining as the video blogging and is more demanding since people have to read this. Yell at me if you want daily and I can switch back.

This week I made good progress but not great. I put an hour in each day for a total of 18.75 since day one. I'd like to bump that average up to over two hours a day. My goal is now to get all of Issue 1 finished by the end of the challenge.  This week I finished the inks on page 1. I'm using Manga Studio and I can't say enough good things about it. If you enjoy the digital process, I find Manga Studio way better to draw and ink in than Photoshop (which I've been using since the first version!) I can see myself saying goodbye to Photoshop for sketching. Color work is TBD. I haven't messed with that yet. So without further adieu, here is my first page! (click on it for larger view)



I'd like to show more as I go but I don't plan to reveal each page as it's inked. I'd rather avoid spoiling anything but if I can throw up some visuals during the course of this thing I'll certainly do so. Visuals are always more entertaining.

I'm working on the two-page spread (2-3) now and I'm about halfway through. Hope to knock out that this weekend. At some point I'll post a Manga studio review as well. I think it's only fair I use it more to give an official opinion, but first impressions are that I'm in love!

I think that's it for this update. Holla if you want me to post daily. I don't get much traffic or comments so it's hard to tell...OH! Big thanks to Kevin Cross for the mention this week. I got 199 views that day!! To put it in perspective I'm lucky to get nine views on a good day. I felt like "King for a Day"! He's refusing to take credit but I have no other explanation, and it had to be a contributing factor, so credit goes to him. Thanks Kevin!

Thanks again for stopping by and hope to see you all back here again next week!