Saturday, May 2, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics: Days 62-68, Eastbound and Down

It's was the best of weeks, it was the worst of weeks.... how's it going folks? About two thirds finished in my 100 Days of making comics challenge, where I spend 30 minutes a day to work on my personal comic book project The Caped Sphincter. As the title might imply, it's a comic about another ass in a cape. Literally.

Last week was awesome. PG 7 was the best yet. I got a huge block of time to work on the book. This week...this week nearly broke me. I had to travel to North Carolina last weekend for a family reunion and I had a great time but it blew me out of the water on this comic book project. Completely behind the eight-ball this week and barely getting the minimum time in. To top is all off Pg 8 features what I wanted to be a jack-knifed tractor trailer and I just could not get it to look right. Perspective is hard enough for me but drawing at rig at that angle was killing me. I got so little done on pg 8 this week it was really upsetting me. I salvaged my week by redrawing the truck to an angle I could pull off. I justified the change because the character was in a pretty controlled brake at the time of the stop so the truck might not have jackknifed....and it wasn't critical to the plot. It just would have looked more dynamic. I think a properly drawn truck in a slightly more boring position is better than a poorly drawn one at a more dynamic angle. Maybe I'm rationalizing....

One thing for sure is it's WAY better than my old drawing from the 90s.  I erased the dialog and one of the characters in the 90's drawing and hid my rough inks layer in the new one so you could compare the two. I'm avoiding all spoilers until the 100 days are up. I'll put everything I have done up then.  For now, here's some proof that I'm working and that  I suck a little less now than I did back then.

Enjoy and I'll see you all next week. Hopefully with a finished pg 8!  DAMN THIS TRUCK!