Saturday, May 16, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics: Days 76-82 Stumbling Blocks

Hey there everybody. We're coming down the home stretch of my 100 Days of Making Comics journey and I've hit a bit of a stumbling block. PG8 was tough with that perspective drawing I was mentioning. PG9 has more...it's unavoidable really. Any sort of environment is going to involve a bit of perspective drawing. I'm use to drawing gag strips where a horizon line or a piece of furniture would suffice to create a scene. In making a comic book you need a lot more than that if you want to establish a world for the characters to live in.

It's bringing me down. I'm eager to show you guys the book but rushing the environmental stuff has caused me countless undos and redos. It's very frustrating and makes me think I've seriously over estimated my skills. I think it was Kevin Cross who said sometimes you have to slow down to speed up and that is certainly the case for me on PG9. I've slowed my pace and taken my time a bit more and it's helped. Unfortunately it delays an art post today.  That also brings me down.  I'll add PG9 as soon as I get it to a point I'm willing to show people. No idea when that will be though....hopefully before next update.

I am feeling optimistic that the last week will prove to be the best week. This time next week I'll be on the first day of a week long vacation and hope to bring this book home with renewed vigor. June 1st looms large and I still have 1/4 of the book to ink and all of it to color. It's going to be close.

Tune in June 1st to see if I make it! Thanks for stopping by. As always I appreciate the supports, likes and encouragement. Keeps me going at times like this.