Saturday, May 30, 2015

100 Days of Making Comics: Days 90-96, The End of the Beginning

Hello everybody, it has suddenly come to my attention that I can't count. It's probably a good thing I quit engineering and went into graphic design. For the last several weeks I'd been operating under the assumption that my 100 days of making comics was coming to and end on June 1st!  June 1st is only day 98!! So, it looks like I've shorted myself 2 days to get this comic book done...oh well, that's good news for anybody out there waiting to see it.

In case you're joining the blog late, I started the 100 Days of Making Comics journey 96 days ago. It's an initiative started by Kevin Cross, in which he made it a point to spend at least 30 minutes a day on his personal comic book project, The Monkey Mod and Friends Show. Check it out here! He challenged other artists to join him, so I did. I've been working on the first issue of The Caped Sphincter: a 12 page story about another butt-hole in a cape. Literally. It's a goofball book I made in 1996 and never finished. It's always been on my to-do list so I figured I'd give it a go. I got the bright idea to try and finish the first issue in the first 100 days and then proceeded to shorten that time up by telling the world I'm releasing it June 1st! Genius. Figuring why stop there, I also announced I'll be releasing part 2 later this year and the never-before-seen parts 3&4 in time for the 20 year anniversary in June-July 2016.  I got my work cut out for me!

I was really behind the 8 ball on this comic going into this last full week. So much so that I took time off my day job to devote to finishing it (as well as some other household business).  It really paid off! You can get so much more done when you have larger blocks of time.  I'm wrapping up PG11 tonight and hope to start the last page.  Ordinarily I'd be scared but Pg12 is basically a single character pin-up. The cover may be a problem. Worst case scenario, I'll use the 96 cover as place holder but I think I can get that done too.

If you don't follow me on twitter, I spent an hour or two goofing off to draw this sketch for the prompt "Meet The Artist. A sucker for a bad joke I had to do "Meat The Artist". I would have been better served working on the comic book but I can't help it. I'm compelled to put pen to paper when this kind of stuff pops into my brain.  Hope you enjoy it!




Thanks for coming along for the ride! This has been fun and knowing a couple people out there like it has made it extra special. Your support and encouragement means a lot!! I'm most appreciative!! Tune in Monday for the black and white version of The Caped Sphincter.  Color will have to wait.