Saturday, March 12, 2016

This Week In Mesy Comics: Week 3, Pacing the Project

Welcome to the progress report of my comic, "The Caped Sphincter". I did a lot of coloring this week and reading about how to write so I had more time to think than I have things to show. I'll share both today.

Coloring:
Starting off with things to show, I got two more pages colored. Once again I've stripped out all of the text because my lettering, writing and dialog all needed to be improved. One of the unexpected side benefits of doing that is when you see just the sequential art, you can tell whether or not the story is working. I think my art conveys the story well. I'm pretty happy and hopeful that the finished product will be at least readable.

I'm still not 100% in love with my coloring style but it works and doesn't take forever so it will have to do.

Schedule:
As you can see, only getting about an hour per day to work on this doesn't make for quick progress. That is my biggest frustration with making comics but a realization that I've finally come to grips with. Realistically I can only make 1-2 issues per year unless I get much faster. Commitment is key: Doing work every day, steadily, whether you are in the mood or not. Eventually it will get made. I'd like to set a schedule for myself but I did that last year and it destroyed my psyche. I froze. There's just too much I don't know yet, so I can't commit to a time line other than ASAP.

Ideally I'd feel good making 2 comics per year. Once I get issue one finished I'll have a better gauge of how long it takes me to make a page and can see if that's reasonable.

Writitng:
I'm about 3/4 through this book about learning how to write comics.



So far it's been very helpful but I'd give it 3/5 stars at the moment. It's got tons of great instruction on all of the aspects of writing comics but I'd like to see one project from concept through to completion to tie it all together. I'm not sure the book is going to give me that or I'd rate it higher. Still a good resource and I'd recommend it.

Only time will tell how much it actually helps me but it the very least this version of issue one will be better than the 1.5 versions that have come before it. And I'm very grateful to have my wife (who is a college English professor) to clean up all the technical aspects! It should read much better than my blog posts! :)