Sunday, March 20, 2016

This Week In Mesy Comics: Week 4, Learning to Enjoy the Ride

This week I faced my first major set back since resurrecting my comic book project. I got sick and then my kid got sick.Needless to say, I didn't get quite as much done on the comic book as I would've hoped this week. I'm not writing to complain or make excuses. On the contrary, I handled this week's set back very well mentally. It's a marathon, not a sprint. I continued forward, not back. I didn't stop. I kept going. And I ENJOYED what I did. In the past I would have beaten myself up about it.

Sketching:
I opened the week up doing a sketch cover and mid week I did a panel of The Last Resort.  Both are here:
 

 In the past I'd consider this kind of work slacking or goofing off. As long as I'm making comics with my time, I'm now giving myself a pass. I figure this kind of thing is needed to break up the long slog of making a full book; it gets something fun out for others to enjoy; it gives my brain a much needed diversion and it's fun! Above all else, FUN is the goal. Completing the book will come when it comes. This shift in thought enabled me to take it in stride when I got sick at the end of the week.

Finished Reading:
Over the course of the week, I finished reading this book on how to write.


I stand by my grade of 3 out of 5. I think it's a great tool and one that should enable me to fix my script for issue 1 and 2. I think the book could have benefited from having all the examples tie together better in a complete project but it was good enough.  If I'm still having trouble after this rewrite, I'll get more help.

Coloring:
Over the course of the week I did get one full page colored and tweaked all of the previous pages slightly. I got the tip to not go too dark with your color (black value especially) and to stay in the top half of the color picker. Otherwise, your book will run the risk of looking too dark and muddy when printed. After those revisions, I began work on PG9 inks. I had to fill in a lot of missing line work once I removed the previous balloons. Lesson learned!



All in all I'm happy with the week and hopeful it I'll break the pattern of getting down on myself and stalling after a setback. Here's hoping!