Monday, May 30, 2016

This Week In MesyComics: Week 12, Down to Earth

After the awesome amount of progress last week, it was time to come back down to earth this week. You'd think I'd get more time with a long holiday weekend but alas that time is filled up with family. I got what's more like a "normal" week in for me: 1/2 - 1 hour before work if I can wake up on time each day and a bit on the weekend.

So what did I do? I penciled PG 14. I'd probably call this rough pencils but since I work digitally I can do my tightening up when I ink.  Here's how the process goes.

Thumbnail of PG4
I had the thumbnails done from a few weeks back. I do these fast, lose and small on regular paper. I don't like to fuss over them too much. They serve to rough out how the story will flow so I try to go with instincts to keep the motion fluid. I can always tighten as I go.

Pencils of PG 14

As you can see here in the rough "pencils" (I do these digitally in Manga Studio) I kept with the thumbs for all but the 1st pane layoutl. I wanted to get more of the Crobster bursting through the door and less of the Cop's face. In the initial thumb I had the cop getting based with the case. In the pencils I have it being held up to draw more attention to it and to more clearly identify it as being a case. The pencils are a bit rough but they'll do.

Started Inks of PG 14
From there I tint the roughs back and start inking on a new layer above.

Nothing as fancy as last week but progress is progress and such is the life of an indie cartoonist. Making a living and family come first. I hope you all had a great holiday weekend and spent as much time as I did with those you love.  See ya next week!